Up again with insomnia! It gets mighty old after awhile.
So on Saturday we took it easy and then went out to dinner and a show. Some of Wayne's coworkers wanted to go see a local production of 'Godspell' and so we tagged along. They seem like nice people - even a doctor among them. We met up at Tequila's for Mexican but I wasn't very hungry since Wayne brought me a fruit salad and a mixed salad when he came back on Friday, and I immediately ate the fruit and a good bit of the other. It had beets and artichoke hearts and snap peas and pepperoni in it - yum! And it filled me up. So I had a plate of nachos with chorizo on top and a margarita. Should have had two. Wayne had a super burrito and a beer. Also should have had two.
I had gotten a letter from Mama and brought it along to the restaurant thinking I'd read it there. Hers was pretty normal but she enclosed a letter from Aunt Ruth in San Diego and that one depressed me greatly. She and Uncle Joe are getting up there in age - she's 84 and he's 90. He had a stroke a few years back evidently and she's having to cope with him, taking him everywhere and taking care of him and that's not easy at their age. My cousin Gene is in a facility suffering from Pick's disease and PTSD - 100% disability from the Army - hasn't spoken in 3 to 4 yrs - in end stages of disease. I only met him once but I remember how tall and handsome he was, and how nice he was to a shy younger cousin. He took me to the beach and I watched him surf. It depresses me to think of him like that since he's not but 8 yrs older than I. Don't know what happened to his wife but I know they had two kids, who now have kids of their own. Aunt Ruth was saying she has 9 great-grand kids.
Aunt Alice died several years ago, I hear.
Anyway, a bummer of a letter. I had hoped to write Uncle Joe and get some family history from him but according to Aunt Ruth his memory is very weak now. I'll still write because sometimes I understand that the past is much more vivid than the present for such people.
After that it was hard to get into a convivial mood. We went to the Whirlygig Theatre and sat on folding chairs for an hour as the play was put on. Some of them can sing, some can't, but they all are very enthusiastic and had fun. All their performances were sold out, too. I like this town - I like the mixture of arts and history and the proximity of the mountains and all they offer. I'd like to settle down in a town like this.
Then it snowed. Late that night and into Sunday. We got about 5 more inches, I think. Chest-high on Hai Qui, who was very distressed with it. He sank into it at every step and finally just plowed thru back to the fiver. Daria didn't even bother to go out. Very pretty to watch fall - even Wayne opened up the window in front of the computer desk and looked outside occasionally as he gamed. He had previously determined to grill and did so despite the falling snow - lambchops and chicken. Very good! It snowed most of the night as I had insomnia again and so got up about 0100 and stayed up until 0230 and watched it. Kept expecting it to taper off but it was still going strong when I went to bed.
Monday I got up at 0500 and made Wayne some breakfast. He had set up the coffee the night before and didn't put enough in so it was weak. Bleah! Managed to choke down a cup but threw the rest away and put up a fresh pot for when he got home. He meant to leave early so he could take his time driving in but the truck got stuck in the little ditch the meltwater had made as it ran past us out to the street - totally coated with ice and he couldn't get any traction. Not that it stopped him from trying. Finally got one of our neighbors who was up and moving to come over and pull him out. Then our neighbor's truck got stuck in the snow across the street and Wayne had to pull him out! Luckily Wayne avoided getting stuck a second time - that would have been too Marx Brothers for words. Prior to that he had me out in my jammies and boots in the truck as he tried to push it out of the little ditch - I finally got back to bed going on 0700.
At 1030 the camphost came by with our mail and while he was snowplowing the road he made a little driveway for Wayne across the street so he wouldn't get stuck again. Very thoughtful of him! So I stayed up and opened mail, paid bills, got Wayne's meds out of the packaging and put away, made a couple of phone calls to places to make sure they received our payments -the usual. Found out from Anita at TRS that they no longer start looking for new placements 6 weeks out - it's down to 2 weeks now. I don't know if that's the new norm for all the companies but sure hope not. Jennie at AmTrav only has immediate needs right now but will keep an eye out for Wayne. Haven't heard back from the others yet.
Wayne got home and told me he was told that NNMC wasn't going to renew any of the traveling techs, just the nurses. So that puts paid to any idea we had of extending 6 more weeks here. Had dinner, did dishes, made soup and went to bed around 2000 while Wayne stayed up to watch 'Heros'. Woke up about midnight, shut off the soup, and now am wide awake and resigned to another late morning.
Was fulminating about Palin - the hypocrisy of that woman really riles me!
2 comments:
I love the london Times! They have a place to post comments after every story and I've been posting on their coverage of Palin's cribnotes. It's very catharic! And I've gotten atleast 12 recommends - the most of any posted comments - which makes me feel pretty good as well as relieved of my spleen.
WOW! Send us the link so we can read you!
Post a Comment