Just a few notes on the weekend. It went pretty well altho I was somewhat snappish while at C&M's...I always get like that at the end of an assignment when our next destination is still unknown and I'm worried about money. Not cool under pressure, unfortunately. Wayne snapped back a few times but is used to it and knows that I'll be okay once he's accepted another assignment. One of the agencies has an opening in Boston that would be great as far as seeing his mama goes altho we'll have to live outside the city. He's talking with them about it today.
There are other openings - Raton, NM and Tucson or Cottonwood AZ, Columbus OH and Suncity West AZ, Grand Blanc MI and Nags Head NC, Lewiston ME and Greenfield MA, Annapolis MD and Preque Isle ME - but until he accepts one I'll be anxious and grumpy.
Linda and Orin got to C&M's before we did. It was good to see them again. We had a chance to talk with them about the Large Garden and vinyard that's about 2 years out (Large Garden is shorthand for farm but Wayne doesn't like the word farm so we use LG instead) and they have just about committed to it fully. Atleast Linda has. Poor Orin is in such a slough of despondency with his work and duty station that he doesn't have the gumption to do anything about it. Something about depression just robs you of any ambition. One corner of the house is listing and he's had the jack to put it up for 4 yrs and hasn't done it yet. Linda has gotten tired of asking him to take care of things and spends alot of time away from the house because she hates it so. Orin can retire with 24 yrs in 2 more years and then he can start his own business fixing computers or writing programs or whatever. Not many people as smart as Orin. And it's something he can do from the LG. Linda wanted us to check Nebraska but it's far too cold for a vinyard. Their kids are 7 and 8 now.
Katie and CO came down Friday evening and Wayne immediately leaped on her gamewise, getting her to roll up a drow. The family is having a hard time coping with Rob's deployment, and of course it doesn't make it any easier on her when X has tantrums. He's really missing his father and can't understand why he's gone for so long. Rob really needs to reclass - Forward Observer isn't something he can convert over into a career in the civilian world, and altho his dreams of either being a writer or a history teacher are good, what will they do to survive between that, when he's in school? Yes, I know it will all work out, but I can't help but worry. They can live with us on the LG and help out there while he writes or takes classes, if they want. We are hoping that they will want to do that. It will benefit all of us. After all, Rob can be a writer amid the bucolic scenery as well as in a metropolis, and I think Katie would love to have her friends nearby.
We all drove down to Springfield on Saturday, and had a pretty good time talking and gaming. Orin was giving little massages to all and sundry, and Linda took Tori, JaDe and Ro to the movies. C&M had to go to a handfasting that evening and X finally got a chance to sit glassy-eyed in front of a computer screen or tv. Wayne grilled his scrumptious burgers for us for dinner and we let the kids roast marshmallows afterwards. Zut was terrified of Si, who is learning to walk and crawls really fast. She hissed and puffed up and we had to pull Si away from her. Zut took Page in stride but the baby was just too much! They did alot of gaming on Sunday. I read Amy Tan's first book, which was interesting. Micha said that the blocks I have are self-imposed and I can break them whenever I want. I tried to do it - went into their room and closed the door but before I could get into a proper meditative state JaDe opened the door to let Sunkiss in, and I wasn't able to calm my mind after that altho I tried. Finally just gave up and succeeded in doing it last night in my own bed.
Micha and Chris were glad to see Katie and the kids, and they took everything in stride, even X's tantrums. Everyone is so much better with kids than I am! Atleast little kids. I can deal with older kids just fine. They enjoyed being able to hold Si and talked to her and then handed her back for changing or feeding! Micha still hasn't come to grips with not being able to have kids anymore, altho with 3 big girls I wouldn't think it that important, myself. But then I made up my mind aeons ago not to have any so I'm not the best judge. None of my business but I really hope that Kat doesn't have any more for some time - X and Si are sometimes almost more than her nerves and patience can take! Haven't seen them with Rob but I'm sure that he takes the edge off since she can give them to him and take a walk or a bath or just get in the car and drive. And during the weekend Linda and Chris and Micha were able to deftly intervene and get X away before he committed seppuku. It is GOOD to have friends nearby!
Wonder if Tish will be going to the Halloween stuff at WDW or Universal Studios? I hear they put on some good scary rides altho the little ones wouldn't appreciate it. No one under 6, I believe, is allowed in.
Anyway, the weekend was fun and Katie is coming down to C&M's this weekend as well so we'll see her again soon. Something to look forward to!
No comments:
Post a Comment