A most amazing thing. Guess Facebook is good for something besides just eating up time! A good friend from Frankfurt - Marge and George Layes - found us and emailed us! We haven't seen them in aeons! It's been fun catching up. They want us to come out to AZ and get a job there. Well, maybe we will.
Going to Manhattan tomorrow to hit JAG and to visit the hospital there. Wayne is hoping that they will agree to a trial period of perhaps 6 to 8 weeks before he makes up his mind about staying. It's a job. I won't stop trying to get a travelers job tho. Or a permanent job somewhere else. I don't feel that KS is where we need to be. So our day tomorrow is pretty much ate up. I was told today by the woman at the Post Office that the mail carriers in the city don't check mailboxes unless they have something to deliver. Can you believe that? I've had mail to go out for 3 days and not a sign of the carrier. Irritating.
It was like 80 degrees here today. I basked. I didn't get anything done that I should have been doing - I didn't call the IRS and get the info I need to finish up our taxes. I didn't polish my jewelry. I didn't cook. I ate fruit and basked. As did all the animals. And Wayne hid in the fiver out of the sun and played his game. Ah, well...takes all kinds. He did make a pretty good soup for dinner. And I did manage to slide in and re-order the prednisone I have to take. So it was not a total loss. On Wednesday we'll go down to the post office and send in for passport cards so if he does get hired in Homer we'll be able to cross the border.
Need to rethink our situation. I don't know if The Shit Will Hit The Fan in 2012 or not. We may just continue to lurch from crisis to crisis with things slowly breaking down. I can see that happening, unfortunately. Maybe America is just too big to ever be effectively governed from DC. Maybe it's because the reps are too concerned with their own little fiefdoms to care about the country as a whole. Whatever the reason, it doesn't look like things are going to miraculously turn around and get better. I need to get my last five years in so I will have my own little retirement cheque (if things continue to lurch). I need to get somewhere I can have surgery done. We need to find a place that we both like and find Wayne employment there. I can't see going north as was our previous strategy- like all snowbirds we wanted to be north in summer and south in winter - since now I'm looking for permanence. We will continue to be full-timers but we have to park somewhere and stay there for a number of years. And that sucks.
Not saying I wouldn't want to go to AK but we don't really have AK travel money, and I'm a little bit worried about spending the winter in the fiver. No way it's as insulated as a house, even with skirting. And the rv park on Homer is on the beach. It will be brrr-cold when that wind comes off the ocean. I suppose we could rent for the winter...too soon to worry about it. I had expected them to call by now but maybe later this week. I am looking for somewhere temperate like VA, but haven't heard back from either Norfolk or Williamsburg yet either. It's really very annoying.
Now that we've decided we will be leaving sometime next week - going where I do not know yet - I'm thinking about what needs to be done to get ready to go. Finally repotted the amaryllis and hope that the bulbs didn't die when they were left outside. They still felt firm so perhaps they'll resprout.
I think I'll take the medical transcriptionist course while I'm working. That will give me portable work for after the five years is up. We'll need a big chunk of change to put down on any place we buy since we had to short-sell the house in MO. Right now we couldnt' get a loan at all, I'm sure. Boy, I wish I could relive the last say 12 years!
No comments:
Post a Comment